all rights reserved. image is subject to copyright

Friday, March 14, 2014

Shrinking Sam


After receiving my free book from Barefoot Books, I instantly became hooked.  I get drawn in to each and every story I read.  They are unlike any other children’s books I have ever read or saw before.  The front covers with all the colors and characters are mesmerizing.

Knowing this though, my immediate thought when seeing the title “Shrinking Sam” should not have been of the other books and movies about shrinking kids.  You know the ones. The innocence of the cover picture alone should not have let my mind go there.  Yes, I am ashamed to admit it, but it did.




That thought, however, quickly vanished a few pages in.  Sam, a middle child, was not shrunk by any machine or science experiment.  He was shrunk and washed down the drain by his own thoughts. Thoughts of being ignored.  But is he and has he disappeared completely?

“Shrinking Sam” is a simple story with a life lesson. Children along with adults will easily relate to Sam and his new friend Izzy when they don’t get the attention they want or crave. The ending will make them realize how big and important they really are. 

I learned an additional lesson from Sam.  Never ever ignore a title of a Barefoot Book because the story is much bigger on the pages inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment